Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Wonderful World of Oatmeal

If someone had told me that one of the chapters of my memoir would be "Oatmeal", I'd have told them to go pack porridge. But here I am testing recipes that revolve around oats.

I grew up eating oatmeal and other hot cereals a couple times a week. Over the years I have come to shun this humble breakfast food because of it's high CARB status, not to mention my husband hates the stuff.

But after considering the basic elements of traditional Irish fare...of which oatmeal is certainly a key player, I am left with little choice but to embrace it once again. Which leaves me to the issue of my husband.

Oatmeal is good for you honey.

I'd rather have water, that's good for me too.

It's great for high blood pressure, cholesterol and it's low glycemic!

I'm not eating it.

Oh come on, try a little spoonful. It's full of antioxidants.

No. I hate oatmeal. I'd rather eat anything but that.

Really? If you were starving and both the refrigerator and your wallet were empty...would you turn down this lovely bowl of hot oatmeal, laced with brown sugar, cinnamon and blueberries?

Yes. I'd eat the cat. Or some leaves. I hate oatmeal!

Oh, such drama over a wee bowl of cereal.

So now, my mission is to enrich recipes with oatmeal when no one is looking and happily force health and Irishness on my family whether they want it or not.

This recipe, found in Biddy White Lennon and Georgina Campbell's "Irish Food & Cooking", is titled Oatmeal Pancakes, but I have other ideas for them...

     1 cup fine whole-wheat flour
     1/4 cup fine pinhead (steel-cut) oatmeal
     pinch of salt
     2 eggs
     1 1/4 cups buttermilk (approximately)

Stir everything together, adding enough buttermilk to create a pancake batter consistency.

Ladle the batter into a very hot, greased skillet, griddle or cast iron pan.

Spread it about or tilt the pan to spread. 

Cook about 2 minutes, flip and cook for another minute or so.


I used them as a wrap filled with bacon, lettuce, tomato and a little mayo and dijon, which garnered a thumbs up from Mr. Sutter.


This is a nice Irish adaptation on the Oatmeal Pancake, but the melting-pot-American in me has further plans to use them for soft tacos, and maybe a quesadilla.

Healthy, delicious, and Tex-Mex-Irish.

1 comment:

Mari Ann Lisenbe said...

LOL. My hubby won't touch it either! Apparently his mother bestoyed the virture of oatmeal on him on too many times while he was growing up!

I, on the other hand, love it! Especially with cinnamon and butter, and in the form of pancakes (sans the wheat).